Bisto Spicy Braised Red Cabbage
Red cabbage is a sesonnal classic and in this recipe, it’s braised and sweetened with sultanas, apples, brown sugar and sliced onions, then enriched with red wine, garlic and Bisto Vegetable Bouillon.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 1 hours
Serving Size: 220g
- 1000g Red Cabbage - sliced
- 250g Onion - Sliced
- 250g Red Apple - cored and diced with the skin on
- 2 Cloves of Garlic - crushed
- 200g Sultanas
- 2g Mixed Spice
- 12g Bisto Vegetable Bouillon Paste
- 250ml Boiling Water
- 250ml Red Wine
- 5 Fresh Sage Leaves - chopped
- Black Pepper for seasoning
- Place cabbage, onions, apples, garlic, sage, mixed spice and sultanas into an ovenproof dish or large pan, with a little pepper Make up the Bisto vegetable bouillon by mixing with the boiling water and then pour over the cabbage, with the red wine.
- Cover with a lid and braise for approximately 45 minutes on the stove top or an hour in the oven at 170c, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot, as part of a traditional roast Christmas dinner.
This is also a great cold dish and works well with sliced meats, such as turkey and ham on Boxing Day.