Chocy Beet Cake
Chocolate sponge with beetroot
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
Serving Size: 76g
- 700g McDougalls Chocolate Sponge mix
- 350g Cooked beetroot, grated
- 100g Black treacle
- 50g Cocoa powder
- 1 Orange, zest reserved
- 325ml Orange juice
- Place the McDougalls Chocolate Sponge Mix, grated beetroot, treacle, cocoa and orange zest in a bowl fitted with a whisk. Blend in the fruit juice on slow speed for 1 minute, scrape down and then mix for a further 4 minutes on medium speed.
- Transfer to a greased 25cm x 35cm (10 x 14) tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5 for 20-25 minutes until risen and firm to touch. For fan assisted ovens, reduce temperature to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
The cake tastes even better when covered in cling film and eaten the next day. Freezes well.