- 500g Soft Bap Mix
- 325g Warm Water
- 35g Caster Sugar (optional)
- Sunflower Oil
- Caster Sugar for Roling/Coating
- Lightly oil a baking tray.
- Place the McDougalls Soft Bap Mix (& sugar if required) in a mixer bowl fitted with a dough hook. Blend in the warm and mix on a medium speed for 6 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 75g pieces and mould/roll each piece into a ball.
- Place the balls on the oiled baking tray approximately 5cm apart and flatten slightly with a rolling pin.
- Leave to prove in a warm place (covered with a damp cloth) for 20-25 minutes, or until the dough has risen and doubled in size.
- Deep fry at 180c for approx 5 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Remove from the fryer onto kitchen tissue to drain off the excess oil.
- Roll in sugar and serve.
The dough can be formed into various classical shapes, such as Churros (Spanish doughnuts), or traditional toroidal (ring doughnut). They can be filled, post frying with your favourate jam, custard or cream and glazed with icing or frosing as well as the traditional sugar coating, which can also be blended with flavours such as cinnamon etc. The doughnuts can also be baked and filled with jam and cream, as the classical Devonshire Split recipe.