Twin coloured, McDougalls Deluxe Sponge mix, coated in apricot jam and wrapped in marzipan.
Prep Time: 1 hours
Cooking Time: 25 mins
Serves: 42 slices
Serving Size: 60g
- 900g McDougalls Deluxe Sponge Mix
- 380g Water (stage 1)
- 90g Oil (stage 1)
- 140g Water (stage 2)
- Few drops of red food colouring
- 300g Apricot jam
- 50g Water (for the apricot jam/glaze)
- 1.5kg Marzipan
- Grease or line 2 deep sided, 8" x 13" baking trays.
- Place the McDougalls Deluxe Sponge Mix in a mixing bowl and select the whisk attachment.
- Pour in the 'stage 1' oil & water, gradually over 1 minute, whilst mixing on a slow speed and then scrape down.
- Mix for a further 4 minutes on a medium speed and scrape down.
- Add the stage 2 water, gradually over 1 minute on a slow speed and mix for a further 2 minutes on slow.
- Divide the batter into 2 and in 1 add a few drops of red food colouring.
- Pour the cake mixtures into the seperate trays.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160°C for 25 minutes, until the surfice begins to brown, or until a skewer runs cleanly through the cake.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing.
- Trim each cake and cut into 12 equal square lengths 7.5" x 1"
- In a small pan, add the water to the jam, bring to the boil and sieve.
- Whilst still hot, brush 1 side of sponge with the jam and stick to an alternate coloured sponge.
- Repeat this process until you have 4 pieces in a larger square and 6 Battenburg's and trim either edge. Do not brush the outside of the sponges yet.
- Roll out the marzipan 3mm thick and to the length of each Battenburg, ensuring that it's just over 9" wide and you have completely straight sides.
- Brush one side of the cake with the jam and stick in in the centre of the marzipan.
- Brush the remaining 3 sides of the cake and wrap the marzipan around.
- Where the marzipan overlaps slightly, seal with a little water and smooth by rubbing with a litttle icing sugar.
- Slice each Battenburg into 7 x 1" slices and serve.