Ingredients for the filling:
250g Dried stoned and chopped dates
150ml Apple juice
15g Cocoa powder
225g Canned apples, drained
and finely diced
For the dough:
900g McDougalls Soft Bap Mix
100g Dried apricots, diced
100g Dried cranberries
550ml Warm apple juice
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
2. To make the filling, place the chopped dates and 150ml of apple juice in to a saucepan. Bring to the boil then simmer over a gentle heat, stirring occasionally, until all the dates have softened and absorbed the juice. Remove from the heat, stir in the cocoa powder and chopped apples then allow to cool.
3. Put the McDougalls Soft Bap Mix, apricots and cranberries into a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add the warm apple juice and mix on slow speed for one minute, then increase the speed to medium and knead for a further eight minutes.
4. Divide the dough in half. Take one piece of dough and roll out into a triangle approximately 25cm x 35cm and spread half the date mixture evenly over the dough. Roll up lengthways then cut into 10 equal pieces.
5. Place the buns in a deep tin, cut side up, then repeat with the remaining dough. Leave to prove in a warm place for about 20-25 minutes.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Try different fillings to vary your flavours. You could even make this a savoury recipe by replacing the sweet filling with baked beans